This book is for students who have learned English as a second (or third, or forth) language and are studying at an institution where English is the medium of instruction. Each of the book's 10 chapters focuses on a reproduced academic article on an aspect of English for academic purposes. Therefore, students can learn about language skills from the articles themselves, as well as develop those skills in the activities and tasks which follow.
Each chapter develops six strands of academic skills essential for successful study: reading; learning language/vocabulary; writing; researching; studying' and applying to your own subject. The detailed and focused activities and tasks will help you to:
- Make reasonable knowledge claims
- Become more aware of university culture and expectations
- Write according to academic standards
- Think critically and reflectively
- Respond to ideas in academic articles
- Document your work appropriately and avoid plagiarism
A companion website features a collection of articles from a variety of different sources related to the topics in each of the book's 10 articles.