Involving children in discussing, planning and reviewing their targets for learning and behaviour is a key element of Every Child Matters (2003) and the Children's Plan (2007). This new edition of Gillian Shotton's best selling book, has been updated to include new templates for teachers looking to involve children in writing their Individual Education Plan (IEP), as well as the introduction of target sheets applicable for all primary and secondary students. The resource provides a useful tool for helping teachers put some of the Assessment for Learning strategies into practice.
Features of the new edition include:
- IEP templates with brand new illustrations
- Pupil-friendly target sheets to engage learners in the target setting process
- A Pupil Friendly Pastoral Support Programme developed specifically for secondary aged pupils
- An Act of Kindness log to encourage and record positive acts in the classroom
The accompanying CD Rom provides easy-to-use, engaging and fun templates which allow teachers to truly involve pupils in the planning and reviewing process. These resources can either be printed off as resource sheets to be filled in and coloured in by hand, or they can be filled in on-screen.
A Script for Writing an IEP for Behaviour with a Pupil
Teacher: “We're going to spend some time making a plan together to help you get more out of school/enjoy school even more, etc.”
Finding Out about Them
Teacher: “Before we write your plan together I want to find out a bit more about you and what you think, because what you think is important. Did you know that? So I'm going to write down what you say to help me remember.”
Some Useful Questions
- What do you think you are good at in school?
- What do you think you are not so good at in school?
- What is your favourite activity in school?
- What do you not like doing in school?
- Who ...