Psychology of Adjustment: The Search for Meaningful Balance combines a student focus with state-of-the-art theory and research to help readers understand and adjust to life in a context of continuous change, challenge, and opportunity. Incorporating existential and third wave behavioral psychology perspectives, the authors emphasize the importance of meaning, mindfulness, and psychologically-informed awareness and skill. An inviting writing style, examples from broad ethnic, cultural, gender, and geographic areas, ample pedagogical support, and cutting-edge topical coverage make this a psychological adjustment text for the 21st century.
The Search for Balance and the Future
- Contrast agency and communion tendencies and their impact on life goals.
- Discuss the definition of wisdom and its research basis.
- Explain how recent demographic shifts in the United States may influence the adjustment process.
- Identify attitudes and behaviors that promote inclusivity, openness, and acceptance in a changing society.
- Summarize the role of technology in the lives of digital natives, digital settlers, and digital immigrants.
- Contrast the negative and positive impacts of technology on society, especially for teens and youth.
As a little girl, she would dream of having a house with running water. It seemed such a luxury to have water in the house and available almost as soon as she wanted it. And yet, walking ...