Psychology of Adjustment: The Search for Meaningful Balance combines a student focus with state-of-the-art theory and research to help readers understand and adjust to life in a context of continuous change, challenge, and opportunity. Incorporating existential and third wave behavioral psychology perspectives, the authors emphasize the importance of meaning, mindfulness, and psychologically-informed awareness and skill. An inviting writing style, examples from broad ethnic, cultural, gender, and geographic areas, ample pedagogical support, and cutting-edge topical coverage make this a psychological adjustment text for the 21st century.
Dysfunction and Maladjustment
- Identify the criteria for diagnosis of mental illness.
- Explain the main ideas of supernatural, somatogenic, and psychogenic explanations for mental illness.
- Synthesize explanations of mental illness into a biopsychosocial perspective.
- Summarize the cognitive, emotional, physical, and behavioral aspects of the major mental illnesses.
- Describe potential etiologies, or causes, of the major mental illnesses.
- Explain the impact of stigma and the costs of mental illness in the United States today.
- Summarize early treatment methods for mental illness.
- Identify reasons why a person should seek professional help for symptoms of mental illness, and identify the types of clinicians providing services.
- Compare the basic concepts of the four major types of psychotherapy.
- Describe psychosurgeries and the major types of ...