How can I develop my identity as a teacher? How does engaging in research benefit my own teaching practice? Becoming a successful teacher in secondary education requires a strong understanding of a wide range of professional teaching issues, including practical concerns such as curriculum development and learning through observation in the classroom, alongside key conceptual aspects such as critical reflection and understanding the nature of learning. This book addresses these issues alongside a range of additional important contemporary topics in secondary education. Highlighting the importance for student teachers to enhance their development by engaging with research, Professional Issues in Secondary Teaching is designed to support professional studies modules on secondary initial teacher education including postgraduate and employment-based routes into teaching, and early career teachers seeking to enhance their practice. Carrie Mercier is Senior Lecturer at the University of Cumbria. Carey Philpott is currently an Associate Dean in the School of Education, Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences at the University of Strathclyde. Helen Scott is the Deputy Dean for Student Experience in the School of Education at the University of Northampton.
- Chapter 1: Introduction: Who is this Book for, what is it for and how do i use it?
- Chapter 2: Who has All the Answers in Education (and why should you Believe them)?
- Chapter 3: Is there More to Lesson Observation than Meets the Eye? What can you Learn from Watching others Teach?
- Chapter 4: Why is Critical Reflection Important?
- Chapter 5: What is my Professional Identity?
- Chapter 6: What is the Role of the Subject Specialist in Secondary Education?
- Chapter 7: What do I Need to Know about the Curriculum?
- Chapter 8: What is Learning Theory? How can it Help me?
- Chapter 9: How should I Engage with Classroom Assessment?
- Chapter 10: What is Diversity and how can I Respond to it?
- Chapter 11: How do we Promote the Spiritual, Moral, Social and Cultural Development of Pupils and how does this Relate to Community Cohesion?
- Chapter 12: How can I Prepare for my NQT Year?
- Chapter 13: What can Master's-level Study do for me?
- Chapter 14: Conclusion: How does it All Fit Together and what do I Need to do Now?