This book deals with the key professional issues faced by students on teacher training courses and practicing primary teachers.
Chapter 9: Special Educational Needs in Mainstream Primary Schools
Special Educational Needs in Mainstream Primary Schools
The following topics and issues are covered in this chapter:
- defining special educational needs;
- the terminology of SEN;
- the SEN Code of Practice and its implications for schools;
- school policies for SEN;
- the role of the SENCO;
- working with outside agencies;
- SEN related to cognition and learning;
- SEN related to behaviour, emotional and social development;
- sensory and physical SEN;
- planning for children with SEN in primary classrooms;
- liaison with other adults in the classroom;
- working with parents and carers of children with SEN;
- discussions with pupils;
- observing individual children; and
- reviewing progress, planning and teaching.
This chapter provides information and some practical guidance on the teaching of children with special educational needs in ...