This book deals with the key professional issues faced by students on teacher training courses and practicing primary teachers.
Chapter 8: The Primary Teacher's Responsibility for Pastoral Care
The Primary Teacher's Responsibility for Pastoral Care
The following topics and issues are covered in this chapter:
- the responsibilities of the class teacher for the welfare and protection of individual children;
- primary school policies and structures for pastoral care;
- health and safety;
- child protection;
- physical contact with children;
- health and its relationship to the child's learning;
- children in care;
- bullying; and
- where sources of support can be found.
A concern for pastoral care is likely to permeate everything a teacher does in the primary classroom. Without a commitment by the teacher to the personal well-being of the children in their care, learning is at best greatly restricted and at worst fails to happen at all. For a primary school ...