This book deals with the key professional issues faced by students on teacher training courses and practicing primary teachers.
Chapter 6: School Governors
The following topics and issues are covered in this chapter:
- the role of the governing body in the strategic management of schools;
- the difficulties in recruiting governors, ensuring that they are effective and ways of developing their expertise;
- the contribution that governors can make to school improvement;
- the ways in which governors can oversee the curriculum and the responsibilities that governors have in relation to the curriculum;
- the governors' responsibilities in relation to school buildings;
- the responsibilities that governors have in overseeing the finances of the school and in ensuring that money is spent wisely;
- the ways in which governors contribute to and monitor decisions that are made about staffing and staff development; and
- the role that governors have in drawing up ...