This book deals with the key professional issues faced by students on teacher training courses and practicing primary teachers.
Chapter 4: Teaching as a Profession
Teaching as a Profession
The following topics and issues are covered in this chapter:
- what makes teaching a profession;
- the establishment of the General Teaching Councils;
- the contribution of the GTCE to the teaching profession;
- developing the professional aspects of the teacher's role;
- teachers' professional autonomy;
- the implications of teachers' contracts; and
- issues of teacher workload and the roles of other adults supporting teachers in schools.
Many people in different forms of employment lay claim to being members of a profession. But what actually constitutes a profession, and are teachers right to use this title in respect of their work? This chapter examines the place of teaching as a true profession. The most significant development in recent years for the profession has been the establishment of the General Teaching Council ...