This book deals with the key professional issues faced by students on teacher training courses and practicing primary teachers.
Chapter 3: Teachers' Values and Professional Practice in Primary Schools
Teachers' Values and Professional Practice in Primary Schools
The following topics and issues are covered in this chapter:
- the central place of values in educational practice and policy
- the concern of reflective teachers – teachers as professionals – to engage with values;
- the relationship between values and social and cultural contexts;
- the ethical and educational implications of teachers' decisions and actions, and the influence of values on both content and process in education;
- a conception of education as valuing learning for its own sake and learning to think and to reason;
- the entitlement of all to education in a socially just society;
- conceptions of education inherent in recent educational policy; and
- the GTCE's acknowledgement of the values base of education.
Why do people become teachers? The profession ...