This book deals with the key professional issues faced by students on teacher training courses and practicing primary teachers.
Chapter 17: Induction into the Profession
Induction into the Profession
The following topics and issues are covered in this chapter:
- the statutory arrangements for the induction period;
- preparing for a first teaching post;
- planning for the first week of teaching;
- getting to know colleagues;
- professional development in the induction period;
- being observed;
- additional duties;
- getting the best out of meetings;
- managing time;
- sources of support and information for newly qualified teachers.
This chapter discusses a number of issues specific to newly qualified teachers (NQTs) in primary schools. It is addressed specifically to readers about to enter the profession or recently embarked on their primary school teaching career. It includes some information, some practical tips and some more general points relevant to the first year of teaching, based on my own recent experience of beginning as a teacher. Although many ...