This book deals with the key professional issues faced by students on teacher training courses and practicing primary teachers.
Chapter 16: Religion in the Primary School Context
Religion in the Primary School Context
The following topics and issues are covered in this chapter:
- the complexity of defining religion;
- the distinction between religion as an inclusive concept and religions;
- who is religious?
- what is learnt from the 2001 census?
- the nature and place of secularism;
- the role of education in relation to religion;
- the marginalization of religion in school and education policies;
- the teacher's personal position in relation to religion in schools;
- primary pupils' engagement with religion;
- the place of religion in the primary curriculum;
- collective worship;
- the notion of religious literacy as a requirement for all primary teachers.
Primary schools in England are required to teach religious education, although the syllabus is locally determined and it is not a subject in the National Curriculum. However, religion is not just encountered ...