This book deals with the key professional issues faced by students on teacher training courses and practicing primary teachers.
Chapter 15: Spiritual Development, Moral Development and Citizenship Education
Spiritual Development, Moral Development and Citizenship Education
The following topics and issues are covered in this chapter:
- the broad-ranging interpretations of spiritual development;
- moral development and the values that underpin it;
- citizenship education;
- pressure on these areas of the curriculum in a content-laden curriculum;
- a whole-school approach to spiritual and moral development and citizenship;
- classroom activities for promoting spiritual and moral development and citizenship;
- the use of Circle Time;
- citizenship across the curriculum;
- the contribution of school councils; and
- spiritual education and RE.
The central importance of primary school education in relation to a child's development as an individual is underlined in the following assertion from the Norwegian Core Curriculum, which will resonate with the aspirations of teachers in many countries: ‘When children start school they start upon a great ...