This book deals with the key professional issues faced by students on teacher training courses and practicing primary teachers.
Chapter 14: Personal, Social and Health Education
Personal, Social and Health Education
The following topics and issues are covered in this chapter:
- the wide-ranging themes that contribute to PSHE;
- developing relationships and learning to see things from other people's points of view;
- a positive and democratic classroom ethos;
- person-centred responsibility in PSHE;
- class and group discussion in PSHE lessons, Circle Time;
- PSHE across the curriculum;
- emotional growth;
- resources for PSHE;
- teachers raising questions about the children's PSHE; and
- assessment of PSHE.
This chapter looks at personal, social and health education. It draws on the programmes of study provided in the National Curriculum for England (DfEE/QCA, 1999), the Internet and material provided by practising primary school teachers. It also relates to the useful guidance for schools found in documents from the QCA (QCA, 2000a). The chapter does not deal with ...