This book deals with the key professional issues faced by students on teacher training courses and practicing primary teachers.
Chapter 13: Education for a Multicultural Society
Education for a Multicultural Society
The following topics and issues are covered in this chapter:
- the difficulties of terminology;
- the notion of multicultural education in a multicultural society;
- multiculturalism as opposed to assimilation and integration;
- teaching children with English as an additional language;
- Traveller children;
- a culturally responsive curriculum;
- school life and home links;
- antiracist education;
- characteristics of successful multiethnic schools; and
- children's awareness of differences.
Overheard at home time at a primary school:
Child A: Is that your Dad?
Child B: Yes.
Child A: But he's brown and your mum is white.
Child B remains quiet.
Child C: So. It doesn't matter.
The school is often said to be a microcosm of society. However, visits to schools in different parts of the country are likely to provide widely varying impressions of the society in which we live. ...