This book deals with the key professional issues faced by students on teacher training courses and practicing primary teachers.
Chapter 12: Gender Issues in Primary Schools
Gender Issues in Primary Schools
The following topics and issues are covered in this chapter:
- gender and the child's sense of identity;
- the danger of generalizations about gender;
- stereotypical behaviour and young children;
- teachers' own attitudes and beliefs about appropriate behaviour for boys and girls;
- the issue of boys' underachievement;
- compliance and the achievement of girls and boys;
- reading, writing and talk in relation to gender issues in primary schools;
- the role of story;
- the teacher's role in developing the child's sense of identity;
- the importance of valuing each child as an individual;
- links with home;
- role models; and
- the central role of observation, reflection and talk in promoting the child's sense of identity.
Here are some familiar images from primary school life:
- Two 4-year-olds wearing pink hair slides sit in the sand pit together.