This book deals with the key professional issues faced by students on teacher training courses and practicing primary teachers.
Chapter 11: Gifted and Talented Pupils in Primary Schools
Gifted and Talented Pupils in Primary Schools
The following topics and issues are covered in this chapter:
- the nature and range of giftedness and talent in primary school children;
- personal and social characteristics of able children;
- general cognitive characteristics of able children;
- different categories of intelligence;
- recognizing high ability in English, in mathematics and in science;
- the acceleration/enrichment debate and the notion of ‘stretching them sideways’;
- activities outside of the class lesson for gifted and talented pupils; and
- further support and guidance.
This chapter is about the pupil who turns up from time to time in a primary school year group, for whom an intelligent and thoughtful teacher will recognize that the provision in one or more curriculum areas which is appropriate for the normal range of pupils ...