This book deals with the key professional issues faced by students on teacher training courses and practicing primary teachers.
Chapter 10: Teaching and Learning in Special Schools
Teaching and Learning in Special Schools
The following topics and issues are covered in this chapter:
- current trends in special education;
- the main types of special need accommodated in special schools;
- types of special schools;
- the distinctive nature of provision in special schools;
- curriculum and pedagogical approaches;
- the future for special schools;
- working within a team; and
- assessment issues for special schools.
No doubt there are those who will find it somewhat surprising to be reading about special schools at the beginning of the twenty-first century but, in reality they still make a significant contribution to educational provision in many LEAs and could be viewed as one of the better kept secrets of the educational world. This chapter sets out to reveal some of those secrets, assuming that for ...