This book deals with the key professional issues faced by students on teacher training courses and practicing primary teachers.
Chapter 1: Primary Education in England
Primary Education in England
The following topics and issues are covered in this chapter:
- how we have got to where we are in current primary school practice;
- the emergence of distinctive primary practice;
- the increase in central control of education;
- the tension between progressive and traditional approaches;
- good primary practice and effective primary teaching;
- the diversity of primary schools, including alternative schools;
- the current primary school curriculum, including the National Curriculum, the Foundation Stage guidance, the National Literacy Strategy (NLS) and the National Numeracy Strategy (NNS);
- primary practice related to grouping by ability;
- national tests and their influence on the primary curriculum;
- the current promotion of excellence and enjoyment; and
- the importance of teachers focusing on the individual.
This chapter provides a brief overview of primary schooling in this country, setting the context for ...