“The first text to systematically address the learning needs of post-qualifying child care social workers. Soundly organized and engagingly written with useful summaries and reflective exercises for students, it is a very fine text that will be widely used.”
– Nick Pike, University of Gloucestershire
This textbook provides an overview of the Post Qualifying Child Care Award in social work. Written in response to recent policy and training guidelines, it provides the underpinning knowledge for candidates following the Post Qualifying curriculum. It helps child care social workers acquire and develop the breadth of knowledge and understanding that characterise best practice.
- Includes chapters on reflective collaborative and critical practice; child development; child observation; case management and managing risk; working in partnership with children and families; inter-professional working and practice education
- Offers links to the relevant post qualifying standards for social work
- Presents contributions from a team of practice assessors and program candidates
- Provides a practice-based approach — clearly links theory, research and practice
- Gives an inter-professional perspective
- Incorporates case studies, activities and points for reflection that encourage the reader to develop ways of challenging and improving their own practice
The book equips social workers with the relevant training, knowledge and skills to improve the quality of services and their delivery. With an emphasis upon continuing professional development, this text is suitable for social workers studying for the Child Care Award, those already in practice and other social care professionals working with children.
Chapter 2: The PQ Framework, PQ and CPD Developments: Consolidation Unit
The PQ Framework, PQ and CPD Developments: Consolidation Unit
Chapter Learning Aims
- To explore notions of the profession — current challenges to the profession — and the recognition that social work is a profession that is contingent on context
- To examine the development of the new post-qualifying (PQ) framework and the place of the consolidation unit within the Children and Families post-qualification award
- To analyse the place of the PQ awards within the context of continuous professional development emphasizing the importance of the learning organisation and situating the learner within an appropriately supportive environment
- To introduce the concepts of Self-Managed Learning (SML) approaches to PQ awards generally and the consolidation unit in particular
Introduction: Social Work as a Profession That is Contingent ...