Personality Disorders: Toward the DSM-V offers a scientifically balanced evaluation of competing theoretical perspectives and nosological systems for personality disorders. Editors William T. O'Donohue, Scott O. Lilienfeld, and Katherine A. Fowler have brought together recognized authorities in the field to offer a synthesis of competing perspectives that provide readers with the richest and most nuanced assessment possible for each disorder. The result is a comprehensive, current, and critical summary of research and practice guidelines related to the personality disorders.
Focuses on controversies and alternative conceptualizations: Separate chapters are dedicated to each personality disorder and considered from various points of view.; Presents authoritative perspectives: Leading scholars and researchers in the field provide a critical evaluation of alternative perspectives on each personality disorder.; Frames the current state of personality disorder research and practice issues: Cutting edge and streamlined research is presented to be used in courses on diagnosis, assessment, psychopathology and abnormal psychology, especially those that include the DSM-IV.; Offers an integrative understanding of elusive personality categorizations: Wherever possible, case examples are offered as illustrations of each disorder's clinical presentation.; Minimizes the use of technical terms: Each contributor takes the approach of a user-friendly summary and integration of major trends, findings, and future directions.
This is an excellent supplementary text for advanced undergraduate and graduate courses on adult psychopathology in the departments of psychology, psychiatry, social work, counseling, and marriage and family therapy.
- Chapter 1: Introduction: Personality Disorders in Perspective
- Chapter 2: Alternatives to DSM-IV: Axis II
- Chapter 3: Paranoid Personality Disorder
- Chapter 4: Schizoid Personality Disorder
- Chapter 5: Schizotypal Personality Disorder
- Chapter 6: Antisocial Personality Disorder and Psychopathy
- Chapter 7: Borderline Personality Disorder
- Chapter 8: Histrionic Personality Disorder
- Chapter 9: Narcissistic Personality Disorder
- Chapter 10: Avoidant Personality Disorder
- Chapter 11: Dependent Personality Disorder
- Chapter 12: Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder
- Chapter 13: Passive-Aggressive, Depressive, and Sadistic Personality Disorders