As part of the Sage Course Companion series, this book provides a comprehensive introduction to the discipline of penology. It provides hints and tips on how to apply this information to maximum effect in coursework and examinations. This is a highly accessible text is for those new to prison studies, or for anyone looking for a refresher. It provides structure and background for all prison and punishment modules on undergraduate criminology/ criminal justice degrees. Written in a straightforward and clear style, the book gives detailed explanations for all academic terms used.
- getting into the flow
- the ‘tributary’ principle
- listing and linking the key concepts
- addressing penal controversies
- structuring an outline
- identifying key questions
- rest your case
- careful use of quotations
- a clearly defined ‘Introduction’
- the ‘Conclusion’: adding the finishing touches
- top-down and bottom-up clarity
Getting into the Flow
When writing an essay (or dissertation chapter), one of your first aims should be to get your mind active and engaged with your subject. It is a good idea to ‘warm up’ for your essay by jotting down key ...