As part of the Sage Course Companion series, this book provides a comprehensive introduction to the discipline of penology. It provides hints and tips on how to apply this information to maximum effect in coursework and examinations. This is a highly accessible text is for those new to prison studies, or for anyone looking for a refresher. It provides structure and background for all prison and punishment modules on undergraduate criminology/ criminal justice degrees. Written in a straightforward and clear style, the book gives detailed explanations for all academic terms used.
- the exercise of penal power
- the stewardship model: financial and managerial accountability
- inspection at home: HMIP, IMB and the PPO
- legal accountability: prison rules, prison law and the HRA
- international and regional protection: CPT, the ECHR and ...