The mode of development that the worldand Indiahas followed has led to a situation where we are surrounded by numerous hazardous substances in our everyday lives, which affect the health of people, of other living creatures, and of the planet as a whole. Our Toxic World is an effort to shine a keen light on these substances, and suggest alternatives that will allow readers to improve the physical quality of their lives and of their environment.
Our Toxic World takes a series of peeks into the lives of the fictitious Sachdeva family and the people they come in contact with, examines the hazardous substances that affect us in our everyday lives, outlines the effect these materials can have on us, and suggests alternative routes that we can adopt.
Chapter 1: Construction: City of Bones
- Preserves and protects existing landscape features > Disturbs natural ecosystem by exploiting site resources
- Employs erosion and sedimentation control techniques > Damages topsoil and landscape vegetation
- Prevents storm water run-off > Impervious surfaces like hard paving with no storm water management
- Location of buildings with easy public transportation access > Huge dependence on private vehicles
- Uses low energy materials and regionally available materials > Uses energy intensive materials
- Uses salvaged building products and renewable materials > Exploits energy by using non-renewable materials
- Uses materials with high recycled content > Perpetuates solid waste problems by using ...