This book examines the evolving health care delivery systems and the role of nursing within the rural context. Divided into three parts including perspectives from experts in Australia and Canada, the book covers the foundations of rural nursing, special populations, and future perspectives. Students of nursing will find special features in each chapter such as a list of objectives, key terms, points to remember, suggested research activities, and discussion questions.

HIV/AIDS: The Silent Enemy within Rural Communities

HIV/AIDS: The silent enemy within rural communities

Key Terms

  • Faith community
  • Volunteers
  • Parish nursing
  • Persons living with HIV/AIDS (PLWAs)
  • TB-NET


After reading this chapter, you will be able to

  • Highlight trends related to HIV/AIDS in rural compared with urban communities.
  • Analyze rural social and cultural factors that can affect a communityampnumx0027;s response to persons living with HIV/AIDS.
  • Develop strategies to enhance services for persons living with HIV/AIDS in communities with scarce or nonexistent resources.
  • Examine the role of the faith community in the prevention, treatment, and control of the HIV/AIDS epidemic.

Essential Points to Remember

  • Of all the HIV/AIDS cases in our nation, 64% are from major metropolitan areas and the other 36% are from nonmetro areas. Newly reported HIV/AIDS cases ...
  • Loading...
locked icon

Sign in to access this content

Get a 30 day FREE TRIAL

  • Watch videos from a variety of sources bringing classroom topics to life
  • Read modern, diverse business cases
  • Explore hundreds of books and reference titles