Reignite your creative-thinking skills to produce innovative solutions Organizational Creativity: A Practical Guide for Innovators and Entrepreneurs by Gerard J. Puccio, John F. Cabra, and Nathan Schwagler, is a compelling new text designed to transform the reader into a creative thinker and leader. Arguing that creativity is an essential skill that must be developed, the authors take a highly practical approach, providing strategies, tools, and cases to help readers hone their creative abilities. Whether students are preparing to become entrepreneurs or to work in an established firm, this text will help them survive and thrive in an era of innovation and change.
Chapter 6: Understand: The Power of Observation and the Importance of Problem Definition
Understand: The Power of Observation and the Importance of Problem Definition
After reading this chapter, you will be able to do the following:
- Describe ways to enhance creativity through mindfulness
- Explain how seeing a problem from many angles and points of view contributes to finding breakthrough solutions
- Identify the subprocesses involved in making effective observations
- List four essential everyday tactics of mastering problem framing
- Contrast two fundamentally different ways to define a challenge
- Practice ways to enhance your own observational and problem-framing skills
Knowing—Seeing and Questioning What Others Miss
How often have you seen a great new idea, or an innovative business approach, and thought Now why didn’t I think of that? You could have, and you can. The evidence shows ...