News and News Sources offers a fresh introduction to the sociology of news. News and News Sources: reviews new research in the rapidly expanding field of political communication, drawing upon material from Britain, Europe and the USA; provides a clear introduction to the processes of news production and the implications of the rise in global electronic news communication; and assesses the various theoretical frameworks available for analysing these developments including fuctionalism, pluralism, Marxism, political economy, hegemony theory, discourse theory and postmodernism.
- Chapter 1: Why Worry about the Sources of News?
- Chapter 2: Theorising News Media and News Sources
- Chapter 3: Journalists and News Production
- Chapter 4: Proprietors, Corporations and Politicians
- Chapter 5: Political Élites, the State and Categories of Knowledge
- Chapter 6: Considering the Powerful and the Politically Marginal
- Chapter 7: News Media Politics and the Politically Marginal
- Chapter 8: News Audiences and News Sources