This book will provide practitioners, researchers and counsellor trainers with the knowledge they need to influence more competent therapeutic practice with a diverse clientele. It is a companion volume to Volume 7 in the Multicultural Aspects of Counseling series.
Chapter 5: Understanding the Euro-American Worldview
Understanding the Euro-American Worldview
Multicultural Counseling Competence is …
- Being conversant and familiar with the major models of White racial identity/consciousness development.
- Understanding the process of White racial identity, the characteristics of the stages or the ego statuses and their implications for practice, education, and training.
- Knowing that the ultimate goal of healthy White development is related to
- Overthrowing the negative cultural conditioning of socialization
- Understanding self as a racial/cultural being
- Being aware of sociopolitical influences with respect to racism and how it affects intergroup relations
- Having an appreciation of racial/cultural diversity
- Increasing commitment toward eradicating oppression
A culturally skilled counselor is one who is actively in the process of becoming aware of his or her own assumptions about human behavior, values, biases, preconceived notions, personal limitations, and so forth. (Sue ...