This book will provide practitioners, researchers and counsellor trainers with the knowledge they need to influence more competent therapeutic practice with a diverse clientele. It is a companion volume to Volume 7 in the Multicultural Aspects of Counseling series.
Chapter 4: The Multicultural Counseling Competencies
The Multicultural Counseling Competencies
Multicultural Counseling Competence is …
- Awareness of own assumptions, values, and biases.
- Understanding the worldview of the culturally different client.
- Developing appropriate intervention strategies and techniques.
- Being able to define a multiculturally competent organization.
- Understanding how organizational and institutional forces may either enhance or negate the development of multicultural competence.
- Being able to define the major characteristics of the culturally competent and inclusive organization:
- Commitments are from the top levels
- Possesses operationalized written policy, mission or vision statement of multiculturalism
- Possesses a multicultural and diversity action plan
- Possesses an empowered superordinate or multicultural oversight team
- Actively solicits feedback from employee groups
- Builds accountability to multiculturalism into the system
- Infuses multicultural competence into evaluation criteria
- Provides mentoring and support networks for minority employees
- Encourages coalition building and networking among minorities and women
- Possesses a systematic ...