This book will provide practitioners, researchers and counsellor trainers with the knowledge they need to influence more competent therapeutic practice with a diverse clientele. It is a companion volume to Volume 7 in the Multicultural Aspects of Counseling series.
Chapter 1: What is Multiculturalism and Multicultural Counseling and Therapy?
What is Multiculturalism and Multicultural Counseling and Therapy?
Multicultural Counseling Competence is …
- Being able to provide a working definition of multiculturalism:
- It values cultural pluralism, values diversity, and is a national resource and treasure.
- It is about social justice, cultural democracy, and equity.
- It helps us acquire the attitudes, knowledge, and skills needed to function effectively in a pluralistic society.
- It includes diversity in race, class, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, and so on.
- It involves our willingness to explore both the positive and negative aspects of all groups.
- It is an essential component of analytical thinking and challenges us to study multiple cultures, and to develop multiple perspectives.
- It is about a commitment to change social conditions that deny equal access and opportunities (social justice).
- It ...