Are you a career counsellor or coach in need of a new skills set to help meet the challenges of supporting clients?
This book is for you. It is the first to combine the theory & practice of CBT with career counselling, presenting cognitive & behavioural approaches to help clients think & act more effectively in challenging situations in order to obtain their goals. Providing clear, practical strategies & a wealth of materials that can be used with clients in one-to-one or group settings, the book introduces: theory of cognitive & behavioural psychological approaches within the context of career counselling; motivational techniques to help clients succeed at interview; how to help clients make effective vocational/educational choices & excel in the workplace; professional issues i.e., assessment tools, ethical issues, evaluation; self-management, using CBT techniques on yourself.
This is essential reading for trainees studying for a careers guidance qualification, as well as CBT trainees wishing to go on to career counselling.
Chapter 5: Supporting Unemployed Clients
Supporting Unemployed Clients
This chapter is designed to help you to:
- gain an understanding of the effects of unemployment on physical and mental health
- consider gender differences and the impact of unemployment on mental health
- obtain an overview of strategies for supporting unemployed clients combining CBT with career counselling and coaching
- construct detailed formulations to gain an understanding of clients’ problems within the context of being unemployed
- use behavioural activation strategies to motivate unemployed clients in job seeking
- teach unemployed clients a range of problem-solving skills
Unemployment and its Effect on Physical and Mental Health
Early studies within industrial psychology provide evidence that unemployment leads to poorer mental health and negative self-esteem. Warr used cross-sectional and longitudinal comparisons to demonstrate the negative impact of unemployment on aspects of psychological wellbeing including ...