Are you a career counsellor or coach in need of a new skills set to help meet the challenges of supporting clients?
This book is for you. It is the first to combine the theory & practice of CBT with career counselling, presenting cognitive & behavioural approaches to help clients think & act more effectively in challenging situations in order to obtain their goals. Providing clear, practical strategies & a wealth of materials that can be used with clients in one-to-one or group settings, the book introduces: theory of cognitive & behavioural psychological approaches within the context of career counselling; motivational techniques to help clients succeed at interview; how to help clients make effective vocational/educational choices & excel in the workplace; professional issues i.e., assessment tools, ethical issues, evaluation; self-management, using CBT techniques on yourself.
This is essential reading for trainees studying for a careers guidance qualification, as well as CBT trainees wishing to go on to career counselling.
Chapter 2: Enabling Clients to Succeed at Interview
Enabling Clients to Succeed at Interview
This chapter is designed to help you to:
- develop a formulation of your client's challenges in relation to their forthcoming interview using both the 5-areas and ABC models
- teach clients to use the ‘as if’ technique to manage anxiety and prepare for interview more effectively
- teach clients a relaxation and breathing technique to feel calm before and during the interview
- use the ‘worry tree’ to encourage clients to adopt a problem-solving approach to concerns they experience prior to interview
- coach clients in taking control of their attention at will
- become proficient in the use of a pre-interview visualisation technique with clients
- provide clients with useful advice on practising effective sleep hygiene prior to interview
Now that you have gained an understanding of ...