Are you a career counsellor or coach in need of a new skills set to help meet the challenges of supporting clients?
This book is for you. It is the first to combine the theory & practice of CBT with career counselling, presenting cognitive & behavioural approaches to help clients think & act more effectively in challenging situations in order to obtain their goals. Providing clear, practical strategies & a wealth of materials that can be used with clients in one-to-one or group settings, the book introduces: theory of cognitive & behavioural psychological approaches within the context of career counselling; motivational techniques to help clients succeed at interview; how to help clients make effective vocational/educational choices & excel in the workplace; professional issues i.e., assessment tools, ethical issues, evaluation; self-management, using CBT techniques on yourself.
This is essential reading for trainees studying for a careers guidance qualification, as well as CBT trainees wishing to go on to career counselling.
- Chapter 1: Introduction to CBT Career Counselling Theory
- Chapter 2: Enabling Clients to Succeed at Interview
- Chapter 3: Supporting Clients in Decision Making
- Chapter 4: Cognitive and Behavioural Approaches to Career Counselling in the Workplace
- Chapter 5: Supporting Unemployed Clients
- Chapter 6: Supporting Clients in Education
- Chapter 7: Reflective Practice and Using Assessment and Self-Help Tools
- Chapter 8: Ethical Issues
- Chapter 9: Career Counselling and Coaching for Self-Care