Maurice Galton and his team have collected examples from various schools of what works in re-energizing demotivated pupils. This book presents practical advice and strategies for improving lower secondary school classrooms, ranging from reducing class size, to innovative induction programs emphasizing the development of core study skills, and developing effective procedures to train pupils to cooperate rather than confront each other during lessons.
- Chapter 1: Is There a Crisis in the Lower Secondary School?
- Chapter 2: Initial Encounters: Moving to Secondary School
- Chapter 3: Working Together – Learning Together: Cooperative Working in the Classroom
- Chapter 4: ‘It's Good to Talk!’: Improving Communication between Pupils and Teachers and Why it's Worth the Effort
- Chapter 5: Teacher and Pupil Development in Different School and Classroom Contexts
- Chapter 6: Why were Some Classrooms More Successful?
- Chapter 7: One Big Family? Promoting Harmony and Resilience