Early childhood education across the world has been influenced by the pioneering work of Maria Montessori, and this book provides a complete overview of Montessori pedagogy and practice. It considers the Montessori approach within the context of early childhood education and care, and examines it in the light of new insights from the fields of neuroscience and child development.
By helping the reader understand the influence of Montessori on contemporary early years policy and practice, the book outlines ideas relevant to all early years settings, and suggests ways for all early childhood educators to apply these ideas in practice.
The book looks in detail at:
- The Montessori story
- The child as worker and the adult as observer
- Developing independence and concentration
- Using the senses to build the foundations for learning
- Early communication and language
- Early mathematics
- Cultural knowledge and understanding
- Maria Montessori, and other early childhood pioneers
Within each chapter are definitions of the key concepts of the Montessori approach, questions for reflection and discussion, activities and suggestions for further reading. This book focuses on the 3 to 6 age range.
- To explore how mathematics education in Montessori early childhood settings builds on the foundation exercises of practical life and the senses.
- To highlight the distinctive design features of the Montessori mathematics materials.
- To provide an overview of the Montessori mathematics curriculum from early childhood to the school years.
- To explore the passage to abstraction'as the organizing principle of the Montessori mathematics curriculum.
Dr Montessori loved mathematics. As a young girl in Italy in the 1880s she chose to attend a boys' technical school just so she could study mathematics. This love of mathematics is very visible in the wonderful materials she designed so young children could share her enthusiasm. In the Montessori view the ‘mathematical mind’ is a manifestation of several human tendencies.
- Humans are driven ...