Building on the core competences for public health, this book focuses on key areas of surveillance and assessment of the population's health and wellbeing. It is concerned with assessing and describing the needs, health and wellbeing of specific populations, communities and groups. The authors also look at how to monitor these aspects of public health and explore qualitative and quantitative methods for measuring, analysing and interpreting health and wellbeing, needs and outcomes. Case studies, activities and research summaries are used throughout the book to help the reader understand how to apply theory to practice.
Chapter 6: Intelligent Application: Defining the ‘So-Whats’
Intelligent Application: Defining the ‘So-Whats’
Meeting the Public Health Competences
This chapter will help you to evidence the following competences for public health (Public Health Skills and Career Framework):
- Level 5(2): Analyse routine data on health and wellbeing and needs using basic analytical techniques;
- Level 5(5): Interpret data on health and wellbeing within own area of expertise or practice;
- Level 5(6): Communicate and disseminate findings on the health and wellbeing of a population to others;
- Level 5(a): Knowledge of the links between, and relative importance of, the determinants of health and wellbeing and needs;
- Level 5(d): Understanding of the relevance and use of measures of socioeconomic deprivation in population health and wellbeing analysis;
- Level 6(3): Assess the implications of surveillance and assessment data relating to a ...