Building on the core competences for public health, this book focuses on key areas of surveillance and assessment of the population's health and wellbeing. It is concerned with assessing and describing the needs, health and wellbeing of specific populations, communities and groups. The authors also look at how to monitor these aspects of public health and explore qualitative and quantitative methods for measuring, analysing and interpreting health and wellbeing, needs and outcomes. Case studies, activities and research summaries are used throughout the book to help the reader understand how to apply theory to practice.
Chapter 4: Health Surveillance
This chapter will help you to evidence the following competences for public health (Public Health Skills and Career Framework):
- Level 5(c): Knowledge of basic quantitative and qualitative methods of surveillance and assessment of the population's health and wellbeing;
- Level 5(e): Knowledge of the use of trend data in monitoring health and wellbeing and needs;
- Level 5(1): Collect and collate routine data on health and wellbeing and needs using a range of tools and techniques;
- Level 6(a): Understanding of how health and wellbeing, needs and outcomes are monitored;
- Level 6(3): Assess the implications of surveillance and assessment data relating to a defined population and recommend appropriate response(s);
- Level 7(6): Interpret and apply indicators for monitoring the population's health and wellbeing.
This chapter will ...