Building on the core competences for public health, this book focuses on key areas of surveillance and assessment of the population's health and wellbeing. It is concerned with assessing and describing the needs, health and wellbeing of specific populations, communities and groups. The authors also look at how to monitor these aspects of public health and explore qualitative and quantitative methods for measuring, analysing and interpreting health and wellbeing, needs and outcomes. Case studies, activities and research summaries are used throughout the book to help the reader understand how to apply theory to practice.
Chapter 3: Doing a Health Needs Assessment
This chapter will help you to evidence the following competences for public health (Public Health Skills and Career Framework):
- Level 5(1): Collect and collate routine data on health and wellbeing and needs using a range of tools and techniques;
- Level 6(c): Understanding of strengths, uses, interpretation and limitations of various types of data relating to health and wellbeing, needs and outcomes;
- Level 6(d): Understanding of links between, and relative importance of, the various determinants of health and wellbeing and needs;
- Level 6(e): Understanding of the concept and nature of inequalities in health and wellbeing (including use of social deprivation indices);
- Level 7(1): Assess and describe the health and wellbeing and needs of specific populations and ...