- Subject index
Managing the Challenges in Human Service Organizations: A Casebook offers current and aspiring human service managers a view into the kinds of experiences they will likely encounter to better prepare them for the world they are about to enter. The cases are inspired by real situations and are designed to encourage students to determine how they would act and work towards a resolution of the dilemmas presented.
- Simulates administrative dilemmas through cases that offer different aspects of agency administration and replicate aspects of actual practice
- Levels the learning field for students entering graduate human service management programs with different managerial experiences
- Orients students to the challenges of management by helping them develop mental models linked to the values of client-centered administration
- Helps students develop a beginning sense of competence and understanding of managerial work while refining their analytic skills
- Offers the opportunity for repeated learning opportunities using different analytical frameworks
- Supplements fieldwork by providing more time to reflect and consider a broader array of alternatives than is found in most field experiences
This book is ideally suited as a supplemental text for advanced undergraduate and graduate courses in social work and counseling, as well as a much-needed reference for human services supervisors and practitioners.