Health care has become one of India's fastest growing sectors in the past decade. A multitude of private players have entered this market, combining to offer high-quality health care and service in world-class hospitals and nursing homes all over India. It has been recognised that a professional approach to hospital administration and better resource allocation will go a long way to ensure both quality and cost-effectiveness in health care in India. The second edition of this successful book contains a well-planned collection of writings on modern hospital management. Revised and updated, it also contains two new chapters that discuss and highlight new developments in this field. The book spans a wide range of issues in modern hospital management, and provides all the necessary knowledge required to set up and run a modern-day hospital efficiently and as an economically viable business. The book also looks at " Customer experience management " Computer-aided diagnosis " Waste management " Financial management " Maintaining medical records " Medical audits " Managing human resources

Hospital Waste Management

Hospital waste management
HomiMehta

Introduction

While in the event of an illness or accident we immediately turn to the services of health authorities, the resulting problem of waste disposal is an issue that is often ignored. In developed countries, the quantity of waste produced today has decreased in the hospital sector and has stabilised at a very low level. In India, however, the generation of waste by the hospital sector still remains high.

The quantity of waste produced per day and per bed differs greatly from hospital to hospital, and from one country to another, and above all, depends on the attitude of the hospital. About 85 per cent of a hospital's waste is general refuse, while the remaining 15 per cent is contaminated with infectious ...

  • Loading...
locked icon

Sign in to access this content

Get a 30 day FREE TRIAL

  • Watch videos from a variety of sources bringing classroom topics to life
  • Read modern, diverse business cases
  • Explore hundreds of books and reference titles