- Subject index
Chris Mabey and Tim Finch-Lees provide a fresh analysis of the concept and practice of management and leadership development (MLD). Grounded in research, the authors set out the current state of management and leadership development practices, before introducing readers to competing theories of MLD and offering them a more critical perspective. Throughout the book, ideas are illustrated by international case studies and vignettes that evoke the perceptions and interests of the whole range of stakeholders in the management development process.
Chapter 9: Management Development and Diversity
Management Development and Diversity
How modern can we claim to be when our three main [political] parties appear to think that ‘leader’ is a masculine noun. (Joan Smith, The Independent, 17 January 2006)
After reading this chapter you will be able to:
- Develop your own views as to how important it might be to consider issues of diversity when seeking to understand management development
- Describe and critique different approaches to managing diversity
- Explain and critique management development's relationship to each of these approaches
- Form your own judgements on the extent to which (and the circumstances under which) management development might work either for or against the interests of diversity
- Reflexively examine your own motivations for either engaging with or objecting to the content and spirit of this chapter
- Identify ...