- Subject index
Chris Mabey and Tim Finch-Lees provide a fresh analysis of the concept and practice of management and leadership development (MLD). Grounded in research, the authors set out the current state of management and leadership development practices, before introducing readers to competing theories of MLD and offering them a more critical perspective. Throughout the book, ideas are illustrated by international case studies and vignettes that evoke the perceptions and interests of the whole range of stakeholders in the management development process.
Chapter 8: Management Development and Institutionalism
Management Development and Institutionalism
[Analysing management development] is like trying to find out the rules of a particular game across cultures when the existence of the game itself in some cultures is in doubt. (Tayeb, 2000: 12)
After reading this chapter you will be able to:
- Describe what is meant by the institutionalist discourse of management development
- Critically appraise the institutionalist discourse in its account of the way managers and leaders are trained and developed
- Link different approaches to developing managers and leaders to national culture
- Cite empirical work which supports the differential impact of international strategy, size and sector in shaping management development
- Explain how all the above factors combine to influence management development discourse in different contexts
- Defend your own conclusion as to which factors have most ...