- Subject index
Chris Mabey and Tim Finch-Lees provide a fresh analysis of the concept and practice of management and leadership development (MLD). Grounded in research, the authors set out the current state of management and leadership development practices, before introducing readers to competing theories of MLD and offering them a more critical perspective. Throughout the book, ideas are illustrated by international case studies and vignettes that evoke the perceptions and interests of the whole range of stakeholders in the management development process.
Chapter 6: Management Development: Power and Control
Management Development: Power and Control
We seek merely to surface the implicit, often unspoken agendas of power, exploitation and control that often lie beneath the cozy, overly humanist and unitarist surface exterior of much HRD discourse and practice. (O'Donnell et al., 2006: 6)
After reading this chapter you will be able to:
- Explain the theoretical underpinnings of the critical Discourse to management development
- Understand and explain the key concepts of the critical Discourse to management development, including dialectical reason, ideology, hegemony, false consciousness and commodification
- Discuss some of the key studies that constitute the research domain of the critical Discourse to management development
- Compare and critique the critical Discourse in relation to the dialogic, functionalist and constructivist Discourses of management development
- Draw on the critical Discourse to ...