This book encourages effective teaching and learning in primary physical education, supporting the reader in meeting the QTS Standards and beyond. It explores the importance of PE for children's learning and advocates a developmental approach to teaching; it also examines a model of professional practice based on personal reflection and self-appraisal, and emphasises the importance of continuing professional development. A rich selection of practical activities is provided, which cater for children's learning needs across the primary years. Content is related to current agendas and issues, including the Primary National Strategy, Excellence and Enjoyment, Every Child Matters and the forthcoming Olympics.
- Chapter 1: The Importance of Physical Education in Primary Schools
- Chapter 2: The Content of Physical Education
- Chapter 3: From Initial Teacher Education to Continuing Professional Development
- Chapter 4: Contemporary Issues and Primary Physical Education
- Chapter 5: Health and Safety: Guidelines to Support Teaching and Learning in PE