The authors discuss effective leadership in extended schooling to fulfill Every Child Matters mandates and provide case studies demonstrating what is possible in a variety of settings.
What Kinds of Leadership Then?
This chapter considers the following questions:
- Does the extended school require a radically different style of leadership?
- What are the key requirements for extended school leaders?
- Are some leadership styles particularly suited to leading extended schools successfully?
- What are the major implications facing school leaders of extended schools?
The DfES/PricewaterhouseCoopers' Report (2007) on school leadership in the UK cited Workforce Remodelling, Every Child Matters and the 14–19 curriculum agenda as having the greatest impact on school leaders' roles. They considered the following factors to be crucial:
- the need for a more strategic approach
- changing the traditional ethos and culture of the school
- embracing a more diverse workforce
- developing new networks with a range of external organizations
- a new focus on negotiating skills
- developing expertise ...