Leadership Games presents twenty-five practical, inexpensive experimental activities designed to be used in various leadership training and development programmes.This book centers on those areas of primary concern to todays managers, team leadership, risking innovation, fostering collaboration, managing conflict, and using diversity. The author has extensive experience both in the academic and consulting word (including being a past President of the Outward Bound program in Rockland, Maine).
Chapter 5: Exercises on Managing Conflict
Exercises on Managing Conflict
- Witch and Watch: Unpack the Confusion Caused by Crisscrossing Communications. 103
- Bureaucracy: Experience Hierarchy's Effects on Group Problem Solving. 108
- Evacuation Drill: See How Scarce Resources Spiced with Exigency Affects Group Decision Making. 114
- Voices: Elicit Diverse Opinions on Key Issues. 118
- Tug of War: Sharpen Differences of Opinion and Air Idiosyncratic Approaches to Defending Them. 123
- Leaders' Walk: Pace off the Tensions Inherent in Leadership-Followership Dynamics. 127
- Ritual Conflict: Reflect, and Reflect on, the Remarkably Innocent Origins of Group Conflict. 132
Exercises in This chapter:
Conflict, it is said, is endemic to organizational functioning. Learning how to “manage” it is one of the things expected of those who aspire to leadership in organizations. Managing conflict does not mean, ...