This is a handy guide to the topics you need to know about whether studying or working in the field of learning disabilities. The A-Z format allows you to “dip in” and quickly find relevant information on topics ranging from Autism to Rights and from Advocacy to Challenging Behaviors.
Challenging behaviour can be defined from two different perspectives, i.e., from the perspective of the person exhibiting the behaviour and from the perspective of others. From the person's perspective, challenging [Page 35]behaviour gets in the way of having the best quality of life possible, i.e., full community access, valued relationships, continuing development, independence and productivity, and autonomy/self-determination. From another's perspective, challenging behaviour puts the physical safety of the person or others at risk.
- Applied Behaviour Analysis is in support of and subordinate to values.
- Outcome measurement is based on reliable data.
- Comprehensive Functional Assessment is needed to plan support.
- Multi-element, positive behaviour support plans are needed.
- Procedural reliability must be assured.
When someone is identified as having challenging behaviour, the approach of choice is Applied ...