- Subject index
This is a handy guide to the topics you need to know about whether studying or working in the field of learning disabilities. The A-Z format allows you to “dip in” and quickly find relevant information on topics ranging from Autism to Rights and from Advocacy to Challenging Behaviors.
Learning and difficulties in learning are fundamental issues in relation to people with learning disabilities. Learning is a term that can be used in relation to formal education in schools and colleges but also in relation to lifelong learning in informal contexts in the home and the community. Both kinds of learning are difficult for people with learning disabilities. Even those with ‘mild’ disabilities are likely to have difficulties with basic educational skills. However, learning can occur anywhere and everywhere at any age and opportunities to learn throughout one's life are vital.
- Learning requires changes in behaviour and in understanding.
- People with learning disabilities will have difficulties in learning.
- They can learn effectively.
- Formal education is available in schools and colleges.
- Informal learning can and should be available throughout ...