‘Using stories about life events, Margaret Collins focuses on the needs of 4-9 year olds, and the ways in which they can express concerns, anxieties and grief. She also provides helpful advice for children and adults about how to help others when they are experiencing such difficulties’ — SENCO Update. When a child faces a problem with health or disability we are quick to offer support or change our expectations. Sadness, distress, anxiety, whether transient or long-term, can have significant effects on every child but they are invisible and the support or adjustments might not be in place. In this great resource Margaret uses stories about 20 different life events to: illustrate the range of feelings; give permission for the expression of feelings; encourage empathy towards others; demonstrate that loss is a common experience for us all. The work balances an acknowledgement of the need to express sorrow and sadness with an opportunity to consider how to do something that is positive for oneself or helpful to others. Margaret Collins is a former headteacher of an infant and first school. She is now Visiting Fellow in the School of Education at the University of Southampton. She researches children's perceptions of health education topics, writes and co-writes teaching materials for children, books and articles on personal, social, health and citizenship education (PSHCE).
- Chapter 1: I Lost my Toy (Dogger)
- Chapter 2: A Sleepover
- Chapter 3: A Lost Pet
- Chapter 4: Where's My Purse?
- Chapter 5: Missing You
- Chapter 6: Moving House
- Chapter 7: I Won't Forget You (Leaving Mrs Ellis)
- Chapter 8: I Don't Know Anyone Here
- Chapter 9: Letting Go
- Chapter 10: I'll Love You Every Day (I'll Always Love You)
- Chapter 11: We are Missing You
- Chapter 12: Come Home Soon
- Chapter 13: What's the Matter, Kris?
- Chapter 14: Different Kinds of Families
- Chapter 15: Claire's Family
- Chapter 16: Life has to Go on (Always and Forever)
- Chapter 17: A Memory Box
- Chapter 18: A New Life
- Chapter 19: When Grandpa Died (Grandpa's Slide Show)
- Chapter 20: A Terrible Accident