Supercharge school improvement with instructional coaches!
For instructional coaches, no two days are ever the same. This unique companion melds theory and practice to show how coaches can seamlessly integrate themselves into the fabric of the school and help teachers improve their practice from day one. Dean Spaulding and Gail Smith address common challenges of coaches and instructional leadership teams, including: Observing classrooms and providing formative feedback; Reaching out to the hesitant or resistant teacher; Adapting data and analysis into usable information for the team; Recruiting, training, and supporting new instructional coaches
Journal entries based on the real-life experiences give an inside look at the day-to-day work of an instructional coach and the power of coaching to improve teacher effectiveness. The book also includes field-tested activities, materials, and forms for collecting data, navigating busy days, and organizing information.
Instructional Coaches and the Instructional Leadership Team is ideal for those wanting to learn best practices to engage educators and support teacher evaluation reform.
“This book would have made my life SO much easier. I highly recommend it to new and experienced instructional coaches alike!”
—Kathy Ferrell, Instructional Coach, Excelsior Springs Middle School, MO
“This is a wonderful resource. Even schools without instructional coaches will benefit from the strategies and suggestions included. It's an excellent book even for those who shy away from data analysis!”
—Ann Dargon, Assistant Superintendent of Schools, Westport Community Schools, MA
- Chapter 1: “I'm So Glad You're Here!” The First Day as an Instructional Coach
- What Is an Instructional Coach (IC)?
- The Instructional Coach—the Early Explorer
- Step One: Establish an Instructional Leadership Team (ILT)
- Step Two: Establish a Job Description for the IC
- Step Three: Establish the Role and Responsibilities for the IC
- Step Four: Develop an Action Plan for the IC
- Chapter 2: The Instructional Coach and the Instructional Leadership Team: A Unique Approach
- The Priorities of a School Leader
- Priority Two and Strong Instructional Leadership (SIL)
- The Instructional Leadership Team (ILT)
- An Equal and Shared Voice
- Basic Steps for the ILT
- Chapter 3: Refocus and Start Again! The Instructional Leadership Team Supporting the Instructional Coach
- How the IC Carries Out the ILT's Plan
- Selection and Implementation of a New Curriculum
- IC Providing Professional Development (PD) and Technical Assistance
- Feedback for the ILT
- Professional Development for the IC
- Using Data to Support the ILT and IC
- The “Why Is That?” Analysis Technique
- Ways the Principal Can Support the IC
- How to Work with the Principal
- Dos and Don'ts for the Principal/IC Meeting
- Chapter 4: The Day-to-Day Work of the Instructional Coach
- Getting Started
- Basic Ways to Work with Teachers
- Working with Teachers in Their Classrooms
- Chapter 5: An Idea for the Day: Strategies and Ideas to Encourage Engagement Between Teachers and the ILT
- Chapter 6: Assessing Individual and Group Strengths: Strategies for Working with the Resistant Teacher
- Who Is the Resistant Teacher?
- The IC and Private Investigator
- Search and Rescue: Thirteen Strategies for Mining for Gold
- Chapter 7: Changing Teacher Practices Through Classroom Field-Testing: The ILT's Role
- Classroom Field-Testing: A Possible Open Door?
- Professional Development Activity
- How the Instructional Leadership Team Can Support Action Research
- Presenting Classroom Field-Testing Projects
- Chapter 8: The ILT's Role in Changing Teacher Practices Buildingwide
- Professional Development and Changing Teacher Practices
- The Role of the IC in Changing Teacher Practices: A Buildingwide Effort
- Steps in Establishing a Large-Scale Evidence-Based Framework
- The Power of Evidence-Based Classroom Studies
- Chapter 9: A New Coach in Town! The ILT's Role in Training New Instructional Coaches
- What Has Happened Here?
- What Should Everyone Do?
- The Game Plan: Get Started Right Away!
- Player/Coach: Mentor Coaching 101
- What's in It for Me? Benefits of the New Mentor Coach Role
- Advice from the Field: Tips from Current Instructional Coaches
- Everyone Wins: Coaching the Coach Sharpens Everyone's Game
- Chapter 10: Toolbox for the Instructional Coach: Examples of Surveys, Protocols, and Tools
- Parent Survey
- Teacher Survey
- Workshop Training Teacher Survey
- Professional Development Planning Sheet
- IC Planning Sheet #1
- IC Planning Sheet #2
- IC Planning Sheet #3
- IC Planning Sheet #4
- IC Planning Sheet #5
- IC Planning Sheet #6
- Needs Assessment Survey
- Promising Practices Building Survey